Monday 13 June 2011

Priscilla Tonman II

El Presidente
Mortified, I went over to an old rocking chair and sat down in the corner of the room. So much of staying classy, Priscilla. My mother would have been so proud.
I fidgeted with my tiramisu, having lost my appetite. Well, at least the officer was nowhere to be seen. He was probably mingling with his other eating clubbers. I got up to put my plate away, when I heard a soft voice behind me say, “So, the tiramisu was not that great, huh?” I turned around and the brunette was there, leaning against the wall behind me. He was wearing a baby blue, Ralph Lauren shirt with a matching navy blue sweater vest. His hair was softly flopping over his green eyes. If he was tanner, he could work at Abercrombie and Fitch. Ew. The surfer look was so not my thing. But I had to admit, his eyes were mysteriously green.
“Uhm, no, it was good. I just wasn’t that hungry anymore. After all, I had an early start to the food, as you mentioned so graciously in your eloquent speech.” I replied haughtily.
He gave a masculine cackle. “I’m sorry, I know I shouldn’t have, but at least I didn’t look right at you! I was subtle enough,” he said.
“Yes, thank you for your subtlety. I knew chivalry was not dead at Princeton.” I mused.
“I’m Eric. Eric Williams Jr. I’m the President of Cottage.” As he said this he put out his hand.
I shook his –woah, firm grip– hand, and notice a silver Tag Heur watch. “Priscilla. Priscilla Tonman. I’m… just a prospective sophomore.”
“Welcome, Priscilla. So do you have any questions in mind? How have we impressed you so far?” Eric asked, with a hint of bemusement.
“It’s remarkable. Your cottage is lovely. Everyone seems to be very friendly, especially your friend over there at the door.” I remarked. I noticed from the corner of my eye that Laura had begin to only half listen to the red haired girl she was conversing with. She was trying to hear what Eric was saying to me. That eavesdropper.
“Oh! That’s Alejandro. He’s quite a charmer. All the boys in Cottage are,” he grinned. “You know, we could use someone like you. I hope you are serious about us.”
I looked at him, and mulled it over for about three seconds. “Someone like me? What do you mean?” I asked. “Someone without etiquette at parties?”
He laughed again, and Laura’s eyes widened. She was dying to know what I had said to make the President laugh so hard.
“Yes, that. And someone who is not afraid of challenging themselves or anyone else. Also, you seem loyal. Coming over here with your friend did not go unnoticed.” He turned to Laura and waved. She blushed and turned her full attention back to the red haired girl. Damn, I thought I was being subtle, I thought. I guess my eye rolls and sighs were obvious.
He continued, “Just think about it. I promise you I’m one of those people who the more you know, the more you’ll like.” He leaned in, and whispered in my ear, “Good night, Ms. Tonman.”
I stood there, as he walked away and began greeting other people. It wasn’t until Laura approached me that I realized he had taken my plate when he leaned in.
As we left Cottage, I was so preoccupied I was barely listening to what Laura was saying. Something about a second round and something about a cute German boy.
As I got ready for bed, my mind kept going back to Eric. I listened to Adele on my iPhone, but his laughter kept drifting back. His eyes were the last thing I remembered before I fell asleep.
Not a good sign. I should have known Manolos were not a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment